Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Day ON or day OFF?!

I'm talking about MLK day.
How did you remember and celebrate Dr. Martin Luther King Jr?
It's amazing what happens when you choose to have a
day ON rather than a day OFF!

Oh yeah... before I go off on a tangent about how awesome the volunteers in the Central Florida Community are, let me introduce myself. I'm Lindsay, I'm a Public Ally and the Public Relations Coordinator here at the Mustard Seed of Central Florida. Aka - I guess you could say I'm Lauren and Laura's "boss" & the girl who picked 2 interns with almost the same name! I put "boss" in quotes because they really don't need one - they are amazing and making a HUGE difference here at The Mustard Seed!

Back to Dr. King & Service...
This year I celebrated the Holiday ON and I couldn't be happier about it!


On Saturday, Public Allies of Central Florida volunteered with Hands On Orlando at Grand Ave Elementary School in Orlando, FL. We built benches, landscaped, and cleaned classrooms. We were very lucky to not only participate in a service event together as allies but also work along side dedicated volunteers from the Central Florida Community. I only wished we could have see the student’s faces Monday morning when they arrived to school.



“Occasionally in life there are those moments of unutterable fulfillment which cannot be completely explained by those symbols called words. Their meanings can only be articulated by the inaudible language of the heart.”
- Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

On Monday, at The Mustard Seed we had a group of Hands On Orlando volunteers assist us in three areas of our warehouse. Drum roll please....They sorted, organized and relocated 2,650 lbs of clothing, linen, and household items! Yup, thats over a TON (literally a TON) sorted and organized for the over 100 families that visit The Mustard Seed of Central Florida each month!


Thank you to everyone who volunteered -
You are an amazing inspiration!


These 2 events are only a small sample of the impact volunteers had on MLK day in the Central Florida Communtiy. It’s amazing what a dedicated group of people can accomplish by deciding to have a day ON, instead of a day off.



"Life's most persistent and urgent question is,
'What are you doing for others?' "
— Martin Luther King Jr.


No comments:

Post a Comment