Thursday, June 9, 2011

Reduce, Reuse, RECYCLE!

As this beautiful morning sets in, I begin my day of my third week as an intern at The Mustard Seed of Central Florida! On this particular morning I can hear the furniture movement in the warehouse, the telephones ring, and the diligent computer key strokes in the office. To my right is my morning beverage in a recyclable container, which brings me to a segment I like to call Christina’s Corner. For my first segment, I’d like to talk about one of the many new things that I have learned since starting work at The Mustard Seed: recycling! Before my first day here, I knew recycling as the bin next to the trash, but since Mustard Seed has taken on such a green initiative in the office and the mattress recycling program, my eyes have been opened to the world of recycling unknown to me before.



Christina’s Corner #1: Each item that can be recycled has a “recycling code” on it, and it is a number found in the middle of the universal symbol.


For plastics, the numbers range from 1 to 9 with 1 being the most recycle friendly plastic. An example of category 1 is the soft drink bottle perhaps within your arms reach right now – as is mine. Examples of category 9 plastics include computer plastics, cell phones, and many more. Some recycling facilities, like the Mustard Seed, recycle based on these categories!



The Mustard Seed also collects unusable mattresses and breaks them down into various recyclable parts to divert the matter away from the landfills. Bring your used mattresses to us because either the mattress will go to a family or the mattress will avoid a landfill! As Lindsay previously posted, that's a win-win situation!


As I conclude my introductory blog, I hope that this has served as awareness for the recycling lingo and practices and maybe an incentive to move some of the mattresses out of the garage and down to our warehouse!

No comments:

Post a Comment